Senior Visual Editor, politics — CNN Digital
Location: Washington, DC
At CNN Digital, the way we tell stories is just as important as the stories themselves. Whether it’s breaking news, investigative journalism, or enterprise storytelling, our visual journalism breaks down stories for audiences in compelling and accessible ways. The diversity of approaches allows us to better inform our audiences with essential and engaging news storytelling.
We are expanding our visual journalism team and are looking for a Visual Editor who will help pitch, edit, and execute visual storytelling on the web — from graphics and interactives to emerging storytelling forms like AR + motion graphics. The person in this role will work primarily with the politics team to help shape visual narratives and coverage, while also collaborating with a team of visual editors and journalists across the organization. This is a player/coach role, where you’ll have ownership over shaping story ideas while also being able to get hands on in building out projects. The position is based in DC and reports to the Director of Visual News.
- Identify and pitch politics-related visual story ideas
- Partner with other politics editors and reporters to brainstorm visual coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning. Plan proactively for major events and identify strong visual opportunities
- Assign and edit work by visual reporters and designers
- Edit and help execute visually led stories for daily, long form, and breaking news, including maps, charts, infographics, animations, and mobile first interactives
- Collaborate with the Visual News team to refine standards and best practices for storytelling forms including data visualizations, interactives, photography, illustrations, and animations
What you’ll bring
- You are enthusiastic about excellent visual journalism and can share that enthusiasm with patience and clarity
- You put the journalism first, have strong news judgment, and are always asking “what’s the best way to tell this story?”
- A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
- You’re comfortable working collaboratively, independently and with cross-functional teams
- You are a varsity level communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do coaching a developer on interface features.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Kaeti Hinck at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include three links to projects that you’ve edited or worked on recently.